Friday, February 6, 2015

Echino Car and Neutral Quilt: Finished-ish


So a few weeks ago I had a really bad day.  Everything seemed completely pointless.  I knew I was just being crazy, but I also knew that I needed something to distract me from how totally blah life was until I snapped out of it.  So I turned on BBC's The Lord of the Rings (LOVE IT!) and started to sew.


I had been crushing on this quilt for a couple of weeks and decided it would fit the bill.  It would be low stress sewing (no matching points or exact cutting) and I could use up the small cuts of Echio fabric that I had been collecting.  I thought it would be fun to make a car inspired quilt for my mechanic brother, but knew it would take a ton of (expensive) Echino to make a full quilt.  With this quilt I could use what I had and fill in the rest with neutrals.  Lots of the neutrals were scraps from my neutral prisms quilt.  Sweet!


I pieced bits of the Echino canvas for the centers and just started adding fabric around them.  I finished up 20 blocks that day.  The only problem is that it is a little on the small side for a grown man.  (48 x 60)  But to make go from 4 x 5 layout to 5 x 6 I need to make 10 more blocks and that feels like a lot.

We'll see what I end up doing.  Maybe improv borders would be faster?  I know I need to finish it, but the I-must-make-that-quilt! itch is gone and I have other projects on my mind.  Ahhh....life is to hard when you have so much fabric.  :)

Have a great weekend!  I am linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I have a WIP using this same technique in a drawer somewhere. Yours turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt. As to the size, make it bigger. I'm never sorry whenever I go bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, so wonderfully improv. I want to make one too

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing as good as a quilt to get you out of a funk! This is a wonderful quilt and I am sure your brother will love it!

    ReplyDelete